Indian food is truly known for its spicy taste. The way fish curry smells after it is cooked is truly delightful! There are many kinds of Rohu Fish Curry Recipe. It includes Bengali style and Bihari style. All dishes have a unique flavor that enchants your taste buds. So, let’s learn to prepare all these flavors.
Rohu, being a freshwater fish, is rich in flavors and has high health values. You will get good protein value, Vitamin A, B, & C, and Omega 3 fatty acids. So, you must cook this wholesome fish every week at home. On top of it, you will keep your fingers licking as it is tastier.
So, let’s head towards cooking tasty Licious Rohu fish gravy recipes.
- 1 Rohu Fish Curry Recipe
- 2 Bengali Style of Rohu Fish Curry Recipe
- 3 Bihari Style of Rohu Fish Curry Recipe
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
Rohu Fish Curry Recipe
It says that you need to follow techniques to cook delicious food. Furthermore, you will find all the specialties of cooking this recipe. All cooking methods are slightly different from each other. These variations win the hearts of foodies. So, let’s learn all the cooking varieties.
Bengali Style of Rohu Fish Curry Recipe
Rohu fish is prominent in Bengali food culture. It is a full-meal course that you can eat with rice & chapati both.
- 6-7 pieces of Rohu fish
- 1 tomato
- 3 onions
- 3 green chillis
- ½ cup of curd
- ½ tablespoon of turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon of mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon of red chilly powder
- ½ tablespoon of coriander powder
- Mustard oil for cooking
Steps to Prepare Bengali Style Rohu Fish Curry Recipe
To make Rohu fish dishes, marinate the Rohu fish with turmeric & salt for 15 minutes
- Heat up the frying pan. Add 3-4 tablespoons of Mustard oil for deep frying.
- When the oil heats up, add the marinated Rohu fish.
- Fry till it’s golden brown. Gently flip over the fish cuts to deep fry nicely.
- Lay the golden brown fish cut on a plate.
- Use oil-absorbing sheets to soak up the excessive cooking oil.
- Cut 2 onions in 4-6 pieces.
- In a Mixer grinder, add these onions, mustard seeds, & green chillies to make a fine-looking fish curry masala.
- Take the same frying pan in which you fried fish.
- Add a few mustard seeds.
- Add 1 finely sliced onion.
- Let it cook until the onions look translucent and their rawness evades.
- After that, add onion paste. Let it cook for a few more minutes
- Further to make Rohu fish curry recipe, add chopped tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes look soft & mushy. You can also cover the lid to let it cook under the right moisture.
- Once the mixture is one & whole, add red chilly powder, coriander powder, and turmeric in above-mentioned proportions.
- Let the spices draw its oil for rich aromatic flavours.
- After that, add curd and let it boil.
- Add water as per the gravy’s consistency.
- Let all the mixture boil for several minutes on a medium flame.
- Add fried Rohu fish in the curry soon it starts to boil.
- Cover it with a lid.
- After 5-10 minutes, turn off the flame if the mixture looks cooked. In between, stir gently to maintain consistency.
Your homemade Bengali Rohu fish curry is ready to be served.
Around 1 hour
Bihari Style of Rohu Fish Curry Recipe
Rohu fish curry Bihari style is easy to cook & tastes yummiest! This curry has a spicy flavor of garlic, cloves, fenugreek, and cardamom. In the Bengali style Rohu fish curry recipe, you add raw tomatoes to the boiling mixture. However, in Bihari fish curry, you make a fine paste inclusive of tomatoes. This in turn adds rich flavors to the dish.
- 6-7 pieces of Rohu fish
- 1-2 onions
- 1 tomato
- 2 green chillies
- 2 red chillies
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 cloves
- 4 yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp of cumin seeds
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 tbsp of Turmeric
- ½ tbsp of black pepper powder
- Fenugreek seeds
- 4 tbsp of coriander seeds
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Mustard oil
- Salt as per taste
Steps to Prepare Bihari Style Rohu Fish Curry Recipe
Marinate Rohu fish cuts by adding 1 tbsp turmeric, 2-3 tbsp of red chili powder, and salt for 15-30 minutes.
- In a Mixer grinder, add tomatoes, onions, garlic buds or Lehsun, green cardamom or Hari elaichi, cumin seeds or Jeera, yellow mustard seeds or Peeli sarso, Cloves or Lavang, black pepper powder or Kali mirch powder, Coriander seeds, red & green chillies.
- Make a fine paste to make a Rohu fish curry recipe.
- Add mustard oil in the frying pan for shallow frying.
- Add marinated Rohu fish cuts. Turnaround the pieces to fry evenly.
- Fry until it turns golden brown.
- Transfer the Rohu fish cuts to a plate.
- Add mustard oil in a Kadhai
- Once the oil heats up, add fenugreek seeds or Methi dana. Wait until the color changes.
- Add the onion-tomato fine paste made in Mixer
- Add turmeric and salt
- Mix it well until & unless it separates oil.
- Add water in stages. (Do not add entirely) Stir the mixture evenly while you’re adding water in stages.
- Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes
- As soon as the rawness of gravy vanishes, add fried Rohu fish cuts.
- Let it cook for 20-25 minutes for a flavorsome texture.
Your Bihari style Rohu fish curry recipe is ready! Garnish it with Coriander leaves.
Around 1 hour
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs )
Q1. Which Rohu fish curry recipe is tastier – Bihari or Bengali?
Answer: Both Bihari & Bengali styles have key tastes. You can try out both occasionally.
Q2. Is 1 kg of Rohu enough to make a curry?
Answer: Yes, 1 kg of Rohu fish is enough to make a curry for approx 4 people.
Q3. How to clean Rohu fish?
Answer: You can cut the fish and wash it with salt & turmeric.