Chicken Parmesan, ( The Best Parmesan Chicken Bake ) also known as pollo alla parmigiana in Italian, is a dish made of breaded chicken breast topped with mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheese and tomato sauce.
The dish originated in the Italian diaspora in the early twentieth century. The dish’s inspirations have been suggested as a cotoletta, a breaded veal cutlet commonly served in Italy without sauce or cheese, and the Italian parmigiana di melanzane, a meal made with tomato sauce and fried eggplant slices.
Many different meals, such as sandwiches and pies, begin with chicken parmesan, and some restaurants hold eating contests centred on this dish.
The Best Parmesan Chicken Bake
This delicious Parmesan-style chicken bake is cooked casserole style, so it’s a healthier alternative to breaded and fried chicken. It’s still just as tender, with a crunchy-cheesy coating and flavorful sauce.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. ( or to taste )
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 (8-ounce) package of ( divided ) shredded mozzarella cheese.
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (5-ounce) package of garlic croutons
- Set the oven to ( 175 degrees C ) 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Start by coating the bottom of a 9×13-inch casserole dish with olive oil. Then, add garlic and red pepper flakes for flavor.
- Place chicken breasts in an oven-safe dish, and cover with marinara sauce. Sprinkle basil over the sauce, and then top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Add croutons on top, and bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Depending on the size and form of your chicken breasts, bake for 35 to an hour in a preheated oven, or until the cheese is melted and the croutons are golden brown. A chicken breast is cooked through when an instant-read thermometer inserted into its thickest part registers at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
- Adding more marinara sauce is optional. Additionally, imitation Parmesan won’t taste the same.